Black Triangle’s List of Deaths Linked to Benefit Loss arising from Welfare Reforms
Wednesday 20th October 2015
Please note: Although 68 cases are listed the number of deaths is 70 as two cases involved couples where both took their own lives.
Link to Fully Referenced Document: HERE
Twitter hashtags for the Chinese Premier’s visit: #JFMOS #ChinaStateVisit #UK #HumanRights
#ChinaStateVisit “三军可夺帅也，匹夫不可夺志也”Easier to rob an army of a general than to rob UK disabled of our will”
1) Terry McGarvey, 48. Dangerously ill from polycytheamia, Terry asked for an ambulance to be called during his Work Capability Assessment. He knew that he wasn’t well enough to attend his WCA but feared that his benefits would be stopped if he did not. He died the following day.
2) Elaine Lowe, 53. Suffering from COPD and fearful of losing her benefits. In desperation, Elaine chose to commit suicide.
3) Mark Wood, 44. Found fit for work by Atos, against his Doctors advice and assertions that he had complex mental health problems. Starved to death after benefits stopped, weighing only 5st 8lb when he died.
4) Paul Reekie, 48, the Leith based Poet and Author. Suffered from severe depression. Committed suicide after DWP stopped his benefits due to an Atos ‘fit for work’ decision.
5) Leanne Chambers, 30. Suffered depression for many years which took a turn for the worst when she was called in for a WCA. Leanne committed suicide soon after.
6) Karen Sherlock, 44. Multiple health issues. Found fit for work by Atos and denied benefits. Fought a long battle to get placed into the support group of ESA. Karen died the following month of a heart attack.
7) Carl Payne, 42. Fears of losing his lifeline benefits due to welfare reform led this Father of two to take his own life.
8) Tim Salter, 53. Blind and suffering from Agoraphobia. Tim hanged himself after Atos found him fit for work and stopped his benefits.
9) Edward Jacques, 47 years old and suffering from HIV and Hepatitis C. Edward had a history of severe depression and self-harm. He took a fatal overdose after Atos found him fit for work and stopped his benefits.
10) Linda Wootton, 49 years old. A double heart and lung transplant patient. Died just nine days after the government found her fit for work, their refusal letter arriving as she lay desperately ill in her hospital bed.
11) Steven Cawthra, 55. His benefits stopped by the DWP and with rising debts, he saw suicide as the only way out of a desperate situation.
12) Elenore Tatton, 39 years old. Died just weeks after the government found her fit for work.
13) John Walker, 57, saddled with debt because of the bedroom tax, John took his own life.
14) Brian McArdle, 57 years old. Suffered a fatal heart attack the day after his disability benefits were stopped.
15) Stephen Hill, 53. Died of a heart attack one month after being found fit for work, even though he was waiting for major heart surgery.
16) Jacqueline Harris, 53. A former Nurse who could hardly walk was found fit for work by Atos and her benefits withdrawn. In desperation, she took her own life.
17) David Barr, 28. Suffering from severe mental difficulties. Threw himself from a bridge after being found fit for work by Atos and failing his appeal.
18) David Groves, 56. Died of a heart attack the night before taking his work capability assessment. His widow claimed that it was the stress that killed him.
19) Nicholas Peter Barker, 51. Shot himself after being told his benefits were being stopped. He was unable to work after a brain haemorrhage left him paralysed down one side.
20) Mark and Helen Mullins, 48 and 59 years old. Forced to live on £57.50 a week and make 12 mile trips each week to get free vegetables to make soup. Mark and Helen both committed suicide.
21) Richard Sanderson, 44. Unable to find a job and with his housing benefit cut forcing him to move, but with nowhere to go. Richard committed suicide.
22) Martin Rust, 36 years old. A schizophrenic man who killed himself two months after the government found him fit to work.
23) Craig Monk, 43. A vulnerable gentleman and a partial amputee who slipped so far into poverty that he hanged himself.
24) Colin Traynor, 29, and suffering from epilepsy was stripped of his benefits. He appealed. Five weeks after his death his family found he had won his appeal. See www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/09/26/atos-disability-benefits-colin-traynor-epilepsy-_n_1917042.html
25) Elaine Christian, 57 years old. Worried about her work capability assessment, she was subsequently found at Holderness drain, drowned and with ten self -inflicted wrist wounds. See www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Woman-drowned-drain-upset-health-check/story-12927176-detail/story.html
26) Christelle and Kayjah Pardoe, 32 years and 5 month old. Pregnant, her benefits stopped, Christelle, clutching her baby son jumped from a third floor balcony. See www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232911/Mother-leaps-death-baby-arms-benefits-stopped.html
27) Mark Scott, 46. His DLA and housing benefit stopped and sinking into deep depression, Mark died six weeks later. See www.southportvisiter.co.uk/news/southport-news/southport-man-mark-scott-died-6604189
28) Cecilia Burns, 51. Found fit for work while undergoing treatment for breast cancer. She died just a few weeks after she won her appeal against the Atos decision. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19433535
29) Chris Cann, 57 years old. Found dead in his home just months after being told he had to undergo a medical assessment to prove he could not work. See: www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Shelton-benefits-blunder-victim-Chris-Cann-dies/story-17574922-detail/story.html
30) Peter Hodgson, 49. Called to JCP to see if he was suitable for volunteer work. Peter had suffered a stroke, a brain haemorrhage and had a fused leg. His appointment letter arrived a few days after he took his own life. See: https://blacktrianglecampaign.org/2013/04/03/woman-whose-disabled-partner-was-found-hanged-warns-of-devastating-impact-of-disability-cuts/
31) Paul Willcoxsin, 33 years old. Suffered with mental health problems and worried about government cuts. Paul committed suicide by hanging himself. See: www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9095159.Jobseeker_took_own_life/
32) Stephanie Bottrill, 53. After paying £80 a month for bedroom tax, Stephanie could not afford heating in the winter, and lived on tinned custard. In desperation, she chose to walk in front of a lorry. See: www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/12/stephanie-bottrill-worried-bedroom-tax-committed-suicide-coroner
33) Larry Newman suffered from a degenerative lung condition, his weight dropping from 10 to 7 stone. Atos awarded him zero points, he died just three months after submitting his appeal. See: www.theguardian.com/society/2011/jul/24/atos-case-study-larry-newman
33) Paul Turner, 52 years old. After suffering a heart attack, he was ordered to find a job in February. In April Paul died from ischaemic heart disease. See: www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/birmingham-dad-dies-of-heart-condition-187961
34) Sandra Louise Moon, 57. Suffering from a degenerative back condition, depression and increasingly worried about losing her incapacity benefit. Sandra committed suicide by taking an overdose. See: www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local/back-problems-led-to-fatal-dose-1-437852
35) Lee Robinson, 39 years old. Took his own life after his housing benefit and council tax were taken away from him. See: www.theargus.co.uk/news/10649155.Crawley_man_killed_himself_after_losing_benefits/
36) David Coupe, 57. A Cancer sufferer found fit for work by Atos in 2012. David lost his sight, then his hearing, then his mobility, and then his life. See: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2474772/Farmer-David-Coupe-refused-Atos-healthcare-reassessment-diagnosed-terminal-cancer.html
37) Michael McNicholas, 34. Severely depressed and a recovering alcoholic. Michael committed suicide after being called in for a Work Capability Assessment by Atos. See: www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Sandyford-dad-hanged-Goldenhill-golf-course/story-21164230-detail/story.html
38) Victor Cuff, 59 and suffering from severe depression. Victor hanged himself after the DWP stopped his benefits.
39) Charles Barden, 74. Charles committed suicide by hanging due to fears that the Bedroom Tax would leave him destitute and unable to cope. See: www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bedroom-tax-pensioner-charles-barden-2670737
40) Iain Hodge, 30. Suffered from the life threatening illness, Hughes Syndrome. Found fit for work by Atos and benefits stopped, Iain took his own life. See: www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/benefits-row-dad-takes-life-1875339
41) Kevin Bennett, 40. Kevin a sufferer of schizophrenia and mental illness became so depressed after his JSA was stopped that he became a virtual recluse. Kevin was found dead in his flat several months later.
42) Denis Jones, 58. A disabled man crushed by the pressures of government cuts, in particular the Bedroom Tax, and unable to survive by himself. Denis was found dead in his flat.
See: www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/westhoughton/10887890.Friends__funeral_appeal_for_disabled_man_who_died_after_his_benefits_were_stopped/ 43) Shaun Pilkington, 58. Unable to cope any more, Shaun shot himself dead after receiving a letter from the DWP informing him that his ESA was being stopped.
44) Paul ?, 51. Died in a freezing cold flat after his ESA was stopped. Paul appealed the decision and won on the day that he lost his battle to live. www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/
45) Chris MaGuire, 61. Deeply depressed and incapable of work, Chris was summonsed by Atos for a Work Capability Assessment and deemed fit for work. On appeal, a judge overturned the Atos decision and ordered them to leave him alone for at least a year, which they did not do. In desperation, Chris took his own life, unable to cope anymore.
46) Peter Duut, a Dutch national with terminal cancer living in the UK for many years found that he was not entitled to benefits unless he was active in the labour market. Peter died leaving his wife destitute, and unable to pay for his funeral.
47) George Scollen, age unknown. Took his own life after the government closed the Remploy factory he had worked in for 40 years.
48) Julian Little, 47. Wheelchair bound and suffering from kidney failure, Julian faced the harsh restrictions of the Bedroom Tax and the loss of his essential dialysis room. He died shortly after being ordered to downgrade.
49) Miss DE, Early 50’s. Suffering from mental illness, this lady committed suicide less than a month after an Atos assessor gave her zero points and declared her fit for work.
50) Robert Barlow, 47. Suffering from a brain tumour, a heart defect and awaiting a transplant, Robert was deemed fit for work by Atos and his benefits were withdrawn. He died penniless less than two years later.
51) Martin Hadfield, 20 years old. Disillusioned with the lack of jobs available in this country but too proud to claim benefits. Utterly demoralised, Martin took his own life by hanging himself.
52) Annette Francis, 30. A mum-of-one suffering from severe mental illness, found dead after her disability benefits were ceased.
53) Ian Jordan, 60. His benefits slashed after Atos and the DWP declared Ian, a sufferer of Barratt’s Oesophagus, fit for work, caused him to run up massive debts in order to survive. Ian was found dead in his flat after taking an overdose.
54) Janet McCall, 53. Terminally ill with pulmonary fibrosis and declared ‘Fit for Work’ by Atos and the DWP, this lady died 5 months after her benefits were stopped.
55) Stuart Holley, 23. A man driven to suicide by the DWP’s incessant pressure and threat of sanctions for not being able to find a job.
56) Graham Shawcross, 63. A sufferer of the debilitating disease, Addison’s. Died of a heart attack due to the stress of an Atos ‘Fit for Work’ decision.
57) David Clapson, 59 years old. A diabetic ex-soldier deprived of the means to survive by the DWP and the governments harsh welfare reforms, David died all but penniless, starving and alone, his electricity run out.
58) Chris Smith, 59. Declared ‘Fit for Work’ by Atos as he lay dying of Cancer in his hospital bed.
59) Nathan Hartwell, 36, died of heart failure after an 18-month battle with the -Department for Works and Pensions.
60) Michael Connolly, 60. A Father of One, increasingly worried about finances after his benefits were cut. Committed suicide by taking 13 times the fatal dose of prescription medicine on the 30th October – His Birthday.
61) Trevor Drakard, 50 years old. A shy and reserved, severe epileptic who suffered regular and terrifying fits almost his entire life, hounded to suicide by the DWP who threatened to stop his life-line benefits.
62) Death of a severely disabled Dorset resident, unnamed, who took her own life while battling the bedroom tax.
63) Glenn Harris, A chronically ill dad of two committed suicide with an electric saw because he was scared his benefits would be changed again. Mr Harris used the power tool to kill himself just weeks after telling his ex-wife he “couldn’t go through all that again” – referring to his fitness to work being reassessed. See: www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/chronically-ill-dad-kills-himself-6109369
64) Aaron Lane: Talented musician with mental health problems took his own life after DWP ruled him fit to work. Aaron who won a place at the prestigious Royal Academy of Music in London in his 20s, suffered psychosis and had been receiving Disability Living Allowance but had his ESA stopped after being ruled fit for work. See: www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/aaron-lane-talented-musician-mental-6031644?ICID
65) Mark William Jacka 26: Jobless dad-to-be hanged himself over stress of applying for benefits. Mark was expecting his first child with girlfriend Erin Weston but was having problems getting help from the state. He found it difficult to fill in the forms, his family said, and he was upset at having to borrow money from Erin. See: www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mark-william-jacka-jobless-dad-to-be-5528536?ICID=FB_mirror_main
66) Julia Kelly, 39: took her life because she was frightened of losing her benefits. was in constant pain. After two car accidents and innumerable medical procedures, Julia was trying to come to terms with the prospect that her spinal condition would be with her for the rest of her life. She founded a charity, Away with Pain, to help others also living with chronic pain. But in November 2014 she took her own life. Last week a coroner found that “upset caused by the potential withdrawal of her benefits had been the trigger for her to end her life”. See: www.channel4.com/news/benefits-removal-fear-trigger-for-her-to-end-her-life-julia-kelly
67) Michael O’Sullivan, 60, died six months after being told he by ATOS that he could work. He had received disability benefits for ten years, and doctors said he had depression, anxiety and agoraphobia but he was not asked about suicidal thoughts by doctor carrying out work capability assessment. Coroner Mary Hassell said that the death was triggered by the assessment and has warned DWP similar tragedies could occur. See: www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/21/fit-for-work-assessment-was-trigger-for-suicide-coroner-says
68) Moira Drury, 61: Moira Drury suffered from combination of illnesses, including depression and cancer, but her daughter Nicole believes that a seven-month delay in processing her benefit claim hastened her death. According to Nichole, her mother’s demise was hastened by the decision of jobcentre officials earlier this year to stop her benefits. “She told me the day before she died that the stress of having her benefits removed contributed to her decline,” said Nichole, who is a veterinary surgeon based in Sussex. See: www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/my-mothers-death-was-hastened-by-long-delay-in-processing-her-benefits
69) David O’Mar, 58: Mr O’Mar was a disabled father who died two weeks after being judged fit for work. A diabetic Mr O’Mar was stripped of his disability benefits in April 2015 after a work capability assessment. Despite family pleas to re-schedule a tribunal ruled that he was fit for work as he lay dying of pneumonia in hospital. See: www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disabled-dad-told-fit-work-6093870
70) Sheila Holt: The government was forced to apologise unreservedly after Sheila Holt was ordered to find work – despite being in a coma. Sheila died soon after the letter was sent to her. Despite being in hospital, she was invited to conduct “intensive job-focused activity,” the BBC reported.
6 thoughts on “#ChinaStateVisit : UK Human Rights Violations List of Deaths of Disabled People Killed by The British Conservative Government 2010 – 2015”
I wonder if i may be so bold and ask a reader to this blog if in their spare time they could compile a complete list of all of the sick and disabled that have been posted over the past five years and that have died in going through welfare reform and put all of the names along with their faces so that we had a proper head count for remembrance
I know this is a big ask as my doctor has ruled me out on medical grounds and I wouldn’t wont to burden anyone that was not well into undertaking this task If anyone feels that they could undertake such a mammoth task which I should add would take many months/years even to accomplish then I’m sure there would be many that would be grateful?
remember the dead has a very long list that runs into hundreds and certainty should not be viewed by those who have been affected but may be useful as reference guide
The Deaths of the Sick and Disabled since May 11th 2010 is a Outrage against Humanity
Both the British Regime and Chinese Mainland Regime are Guilty of Outrages against
The Peoples Republic of China is a Cruel Evil Tyrants State and Tory Neo Liberal
Britain is a Disgrace to the British Name
One should Mourn both the Victims of Tory Neo Liberalism such as David Clapson
and the Victims of the Evil Tyrants State of the Peoples Republic of China and
Call for both the United Kingdom and Mainland China to be Governed Better
There should be a Memorial Constructed to the Victims of Con Dem Neo Liberalism
Perhaps an Angel in Mourning
Never should Eugenics Ever be Supported by any Decent Person
It is an Evil Nazi Practice like Nazi Euthanasia
Is there a more recent version? I’ve seen details of at least two others who should be added to this list.
I admin an anti-Tory FB group, so would like to share this information with my group’s members.