HomeBlog‘GPs not ‘supporting’ Atos disabled patients’ : Black Triangle Campaign to enter into talks with Glasgow LMC and Scottish BMA leaders
Comments
  • Margaret June 15, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I live in the south east of Scotland.
    My GP told me in early April that he would support me with a letter to the DWP. I gave him a copy of your downloadable letter and other info and I am still waiting for the letter of support. I did receive a draft letter some three weeks ago, but it did not quote the necessary regulations to place me in the support group. So I had to ask for the letter to be redrafted.

I have my fingers crossed that eventually the GP will furnish me with this letter and my local benefits advisers says it is the only way for my application to be considered for the support group.

I feel really terrible having to ask for this letter. It has taken almost three months and I still do not have it. My benefit was stopped in March and I’ve had no income since then. I go round and round in my head trying to find another solution but it seems it is down to my local Health centre and their particular systems to determine if and when I am eligible for ESA.

This can’t be a good system. The health centre is small, they only type letters once a week, my GP works part time.

If he changes his mind, or forgets that he promised to include reference to the regulations needed for the support group I may be another 3 months without any benefit.

In the meantime I am not able to do anything.

• Denise June 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Hi sorry I have searched, but cannot find this. Where is the downloadable letter for the GP that you are referring to. Thank you in advance

• Denise June 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Hi Margaret really hope everything gets sorted for you soon, Its okay, I think I have found it, the GP appeal draft letter. here is the link for anyone else who may need it. Thank you BTC

• Margaret June 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Hi Denise
          Sorry, I just saw your question, but luckily you have found the draft letters.
          Thank you for your kind words.
          My welfare benefits office told me that the GP’s letter must quote the relevant regulation for the DWP to listen to them. They also said that once the DWP receive the correctly worded letter that I should be put permanently into the Support Group. So it is critical that my GP letter is worded in a certain way. This is what is holding my appeal up.
          It seems that it doesn’t matter what your disability is, or to what extent you suffer. It is down to the correct phrases being used by your GP. So if they don’t want to follow the downloadable letters you have not got a chance. I have tried to explain this to my GP and they seem to get it when I am in front of them, but after I leave maybe they forget?
          My GP has children and will be going on holiday very soon so I may have to pester him again. That is what I feel I have to resort to. All I need is a letter to make this madness stop.

• Prola Tariat June 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm

This entire system is corrupt,and the ministers involved in the DWP/Atos, should be prosecuted for crimes against humanity.

• Karin June 15, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Once again, us disabled bods get the fallout, when the target of GP frustratrion and exhaustion should lie with the architects of this cruel “system”, IDS and his greedsters,who are creating the ghastly situation.

It beggars belief (for people with an ordinary conscience) that GPs, whose primary responsibility is to “Do no harm” are abandoning the sick and disabled in this manner. Well done everyone who is taking up the matter with them.

I am lucky. The2 GPs I see at the local group practice BOTH wrote letters and checked that the content was accurate with me, before sending them. Eventually I got my due-ESA Support Gp on Appeal, after a nightmare year with NO benefits. I am frightened to think of the state I would be in, if they had not supported me. Here in Wales healthcare is devolved, as it is in Scotland so I find it extraordinary that Scottish GPs are hitting out at their patients.

• RG June 15, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I am in the North West of England, my GP has been supportive during my appeal process. After initially agreeing to sign the pro forma letter, she prodcuced her own version and only charged me a tenner. I am 10 and half months in and I a dreading August when my benefit will stop if I haven’t had a hearing.

• Linda June 16, 2013 at 10:50 am

Only one doctor has ever written a letter for me to give to the DWP , and that was just one sentence letter. I should say to them, if i’m not sick, why are you giving me all these toxic drugs.

• anon June 16, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I am in the Medway Towns (Kent) and my doctor in a large medical centre refused to write a supporting letter despite massive deterioration in both my physical and mental health due to DWP harrassment and being forced into both WRAg and the Work Programme.

This GP who has previously seemed perfectly reasonable, raised his voice and began shouting and ranting at me as soon as I politely asked for his support, before ordering me out of his office.

Sadly as my mobility is severely limited there is no other surgery that I can physically travel to.

• karin June 17, 2013 at 12:56 pm

What a horrible experience. It sounds like this GP should be reported to the BMA. How dare he treat you in this cruel way.

• anon June 16, 2013 at 3:02 pm

This GP who has previously seemed perfectly reasonable, raised his voice and began shouting and ranting at me as soon as I politely asked for his support, before ordering me out of his office as I broke down in tears.

• Humanity2012 June 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I am Astonished Beyond Words how Bloody Diabolical this
    Codswallop is

Sack Useless GPS They are a Waste of Money and Space

Get Caring GPS that are in Touch with Circumstances Not in
    Cloud Cuckoo Land

• GEOFF REYNOLDS June 18, 2013 at 9:45 am

Can it be really true that the coalition are considering child murderer, Ian Brady’s final wish to end his own life………

Sending him to ATOS would be the final twist in the long going saga.

Indeed his life would be terminated in one of two ways, he could take his own life after being given a falsified medical report by a “health care professional” who has a private hatred of disabled, whilst watching the pounds roll in.

The alternative would be to succumb to starvation while awaiting an appeal tribunal, having insufficient funds to live….

A high ranking figure from the DWP, who did not wish to be named, described the move as callous, stating the ethnic cleansing was not available to detainees in prison, but only the scrounging disabled…………..

• Karen M August 13, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Problem is as he was born in 1938, Brady would be a pensioner so exempt from the torture of a WCA.

• Gbarbm June 18, 2013 at 9:25 pm

just watched “Frankie” on BBC1 a programme about a district nurse.
    ATOS gets a mention! A patient with lupus is deemed fit for work (quelle surprise) …worth watching!

• GEOFF REYNOLDS June 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Similar to the BBC having a programme, the DWP, controlled by the condems, also have a programme, its called;

“THE DEMOLITION OF THE WELFARE STATE BY MURDERING ANYTHING THAT STANDS IN ITS WAY”

• PAULA June 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I SUFFER WITH CHRONIC ANXIETY, MY DOCTOR TOLD ME WORK IS GOOD FOR YOU, THAT PUT ME INTO A PANIC AND MADE ME FEEL WORSE, I WAS PUT IN THE WRAG GROUP AND TOLD IF YOU APPEAL YOU COULD LOSE YOUR WRAG HA,HA!! I HAVE BEEN ON A COURSE WITH THE MIND PEOPLE AND THAT DID HELP BUT LAST WEEK HAD A CALL FROM J CENTRE TO SAY I’D MISSED AN APPOINTMENT I TOLD THEM I HADN’T EVEN HAD A LETTER, THAT WAS MAX STRESS I FELT I WAS GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK, AFTER BEING TOLD THEY WOULD PHONE ME BACK ( THEY DIDN’T), I WAS SENT ANOTHER APPOINTMENT, I HAVE HAD TO REBOOK WITH THE MIND PEOPLE AND AM GOING TO ADVISE PEOPLE WITH APPEAL, THIS IS ALL VERY EVIL, DOCTORS DON’T WANT TO GET INVOLVED BECAUSE THEY ARE WORRIED ABOUT IT AFFECTING THEIR PENSIONS?

• PAUL August 13, 2013 at 7:46 pm

i took the black triangle letter, my gp… didnt use it but wrote a two line note saying it would affect me with this process… do i actualy have to get those clauses 35 and 29? mentioned?

• Margaret August 13, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Hi again
    Wee update.
    I got my GP letter (only took 2 months) and he did not mention clauses 35 and 29. He said he would.
    Although he said he would support me he wanted to put things in his own words.
    So I have been told I am still in the WRAG. But wait for it, with no payment. I am in the process of appealing AGAIN.
    In the meantime it is seemingly recognised that I am unable to work as I am still officially in the WRAG group. They will not pay me anything and they have NEVER asked me to go to an interview or to give me the support promised to help me get back into work.
    So they say I am not well enough to work. I am in the WRAG but receiving no payments or assistance. I do not have anywhere to go now. I am appealing to try and get into the support group but have been told in my area that this is virtually impossible.
    The benefits advisers also say that locally they can’t cope with WR interviews or assistance, they don’t have the staff. Ans those who do get a WRAG interview are then sent to other agencies to have other decisions made about their fitness for work.
    They advise me to avoid the merry go round of these WRAG interviews. So no money, no hope of help, I am lost.

Trackbacks