HomeBlogUsing the Law to Fight Cuts to Disabled People’s Services A practical guide for campaigners – disabled people and their families; carers and local groups (Updated July 2012)
Comments
  • soiniciulacht July 25, 2012 at 8:03 am

Excellent article just thought I would point to some research from Australia from over a decade ago which pointed out:

Individuals continue to be measured as to their functional capability, or incapacity for work; the capacity of social system to support disabled people in the work place is largely ignored.

• jeffery davies July 25, 2012 at 11:58 am

who in his right mind will employ a disabled worker if he can get ablebodied one not many so as for work other than remploy we dont get a job ,so whislt they sprout about us being employed there are no jobs for us and how the hell can we make any .without our dla and esa we woul be no roof over our heads and no food but htis lot are taking it away from us daily and its the knackers yard for most jeff3

• Ron July 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

Equality from the top down is not Equality from the bottom up

• maureen gardner July 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm

cuts to my disibilty benefit as I have a small pension I wont get any help from the state ,but have been told “I can start my own busness”!!! doing what?!!!

• kieron July 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm

great article and good comments

• clarebelz September 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks very much for this.

I was about to have my care plan cut by 80%, which would have left me in a vulnerable position.

I read the article, and noted some of the legal points and mentioned this to the social worker. I basically said that the cuts would remove my dignity and would be detrimental to my health, which went against all of the disability laws since the 1970’s. I also said that the LA promoted ‘personalisation’, but the care package on offer was totally prescriptive with only 2 things allowed each day. She said she would talk to her manager and get back to me.

Low and behold, the following week, suddenly I was told that I’d only be losing about a quarter of my care package, and whereas I was told that no personalisation was allowed, the carers could carry on as normal (barring a few ridiculous things which I’m going to challenge).

I wouldn’t have known how to go about this had I not read this article. As a result, I can’t thank you enough.